Monday, July 02, 2007

I had to whore myself for diapers...

It seems like everyone has a story of falling on hard times while they were pregnant. "we were so young... your father had been laid off... your father had gotten his 2nd DUI (this one is a personal one from my childhood!)... Grandma died... the great depression began", etc.

But not me! I waited until I was married and had my own house, dog, cat and husband. I was "doing it the right way". That is until...

1. My work cut our pay by 20% - which has equalled over $400 a month.
2. My dog tore his claw and the vet bills cost $270 (so far).
3. The air conditioners went out on my car - and Brian's.
4. My state tax refund has yet to arrive
5. Work started doing layoffs - which so far I have avoided
6. Medical bills for prenatal care started rolling in.
7. HOA dues are due.
8. Just to begin and name a few.

I have to shake my head and chuckle a little. Or else I would cry. I waited until I was 27 to start a family. People do it at 16 and make it look easier. They have multiple children. I am petrified of affording one. My dad had two daughters without health insurance. My grandma had her first baby at 15. Surely we can get through this.

Perhaps this is just part of the pregnancy experience. It will give me a chance to gingerly remind my hellion teenager of all that I had to endure while pregnant with her. Of course then I will throw in the birth story (exaggerated of course because my labor will be fairly quick and painless - with absolutely no tearing).

Speaking of vaginas - fingers crossed that the baby flashes hers tomorrow! 80% just isn't good enough for me.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

I am always thinking of you. If you need to talk, call me, k? Plus you always cheer me up. Hugs and loves for your family. You will get through this. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You are tough!!!!