I've said it before and I'll say it again... job hunting sucks ass. The only thing that sucks worse is getting canned and then knowing that the hunt is ahead.
Every morning I wake up and check the classifieds. I email my resume and write down numbers to fax to later. I check a few different websites and send some that way.
Then I wait. And my phone hardly rings. It hardly rings from employers that I probably don't want to work for anyway. Those employers don't call me to offer money that is far less than what I've made for the past few years.
Job hunting brings my maturity level and self esteem straight back to my Sophomore year in high school.
I had an interview last Thursday that was very promising. The first question that the lady asked me is if I was offended by dirty jokes. My response, "Why, do you have one?" Come to find out the boss referred to herself as Trucker Jen and her favorite word was fuck. I immediately perked up - we could really be on to something here! I quickly explained to her that I came from a small mining town with a mining father that loved that word so much that he added it to other words. . . such as fanfuckingtastic, absofuckinglutely and damnfuckingright (just to name a few). She told me that she had a few more people to interview but that she liked me the best. She explained the job duties as if they were already mine and I left there knowing that I would soon be the assistant manager of a large apartment complex. However, the more I thought about it, I couldn't shake the feeling that we didn't part as well as we should have. For the first time in my life I think that I may have been passed up because I don't smoke. The interviewer walked me out and grabbed a Marlboro Light 100 (isn't that somewhat of an oxymoron right there, light... but larger???) Anyhoo she asked me if I smoked and I told her no, she kind of startled and quickly said that her and Trucker Jen do. "Uh Huh" I said, not thinking anything of it. When I called on Monday to find out if the position had been filled the voice on the other end was very froggy and I imagine that the smoker's bench is well-used among the new personnel.
As I hung up I started to lecture myself for not explaining myself more. Why didn't I quickly interject that I was still nursing? Or tell her of the many packs that I have smoked in my young life? I could have told her that when I'm stressed I love the smell of a cigarette and miss it so much sometimes. Then I stopped. This is what job hunting does to a person. It makes them so desperate to find a home and a position that they are able to question and change who they are. I didn't want to work for Trucker Jen, even though I wouldn't flinch at the word fuck - who wants to be in that environment all of the time?
It's like in high school when you would get dumped and your friends would say "He's such a jerk, and not even that cute anyways". They meant well but what you really heard is "Geez - how will you ever score a great guy if the ugly losers dump you!"
And so, I wait for the phone to ring. Sometimes I open it and check the volume to make sure that it's not on silent. I go over conversations of prospects in my head and lay awake at night and wish that someone would just want me. Age old wisdom is repeated like a mantra and needed more than ever - just be yourself. I don't smoke, I am a people person, I do play well with others (honest!Apparently just not crotchety old bitches...ooops did I say that out loud?! hehe), I am damn computer savvy, and even though F Bombs do not offend me - I am a professional girl who is still able to have a little fun and bring a sense of normalcy to a workplace. Please hold while I copy and paste this entry as my new fanfuckingtastic resume cover letter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
LMAO @ your new cover letter!
I'm sooo pulling for you in the job hunt. You can DOOO EEEIITT!
Post a Comment