Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I have my sister-in-law and two nephews in town for the holidays. They are some of the most open minded, kind people I have ever met. My sister-in-law is Christian (as much as my husband I suppose) and her husband is Jewish. My mother-in-law decided to teach the kids about Chanukah this year. She bought dreidel cookie cutters and star of david window clings.

This brought up a conversation that has been on my mind ever since. With all of the uproar about church and state... what about those of us that consider the celebration a cultural one? My brother-in-law isn't a practicing Jew, my husband hasn't been to church since he was a boy and I haven't been a practicing Mormon for a long time. You don't have to be Irish to wear green on St Patrick's Day and don't have to believe in Love to get a candy heart on St. Valentine's Day - so why is it such a big deal that we celebrate a holiday and don't do everything that goes with it? Putting Christ in Christmas isn't as important as keeping family in Christmas. All of the tradition and good spirits embody exactly what Christ stood for. I have a nativity set that I gingerly set out... and I have my doubts all at the same time.

Christmas for me this year has a whole new meaning. I can say that I am more excited about the presents than I've ever been. But I'm excited about Evie's presents. I can't wait to see Christmas through her eyes.

Speaking of which I have a new Oakley conversation:

Mother in Law: Oakley, do you know what the Star of David is?

Oakley: Um, yeah. It's the star that the three wise men followed to find that boy.

Me: What boy? (nervously...)

Oakley: Jesus

Star of David, Star of Bethlehem. It doesn't matter when the conversation is held at a dinner table over gingerbread cookies straight out of the oven.

Christmas is a fundemental part of our American culture. It is constantly over scrutinized and over commercialized (although I LOVE some of the commercials!)

It is what it is. And I hope it's merry for everyone!

1 comment:

mommafar said...

Thanks so much for coming to visit us! Christmas is very much about family, everyone can agree on that, and you're like family to us.