I received a phone call from my dear friend Heather and she asked me
1) if she was the gym buddy that I referred to in a previous post and
2) if I considered her one of the SB's.
First of all, I don't think that we've ever been to a gym. In our day that consisted of seeing how many long island iced teas we could lift in one evening or how many boys she could juggle! Second... No, I do not consider her an SB and here's why:
I've known Heather (light as a heather as I jokingly call her) for about 6 years now. I have seen first hand that the fact that she is a size 0 does not make her life any easier. We both leave the mall with slumped over shoulders because nothing fit us or looks good on us. We both look in the mirror and wince at this or that. And, while I probably have people that pity the chunky girl, she has people that straight out ridicule her! Skinny girls can be self-conscience too. Life isn't all bikinis and McDonald's for them either. While other girls sit around and complain about this or that and she joins in she is quickly put in her place like there must be nothing on earth that could ever affect her. While we were shopping for my wedding dress the sales associate told her that she just needs to eat more while she was holding up the size 2 bridesmaid dress that didn't fit her. I quickly jumped in with "she eats plenty, thank you very much". That is just as bad as looking at me in my size 16 and saying, perhaps you should lay off the doughnuts!
It's so easy to say "oh, poor little rich girl... or poor celebrity dealing with the paparazzi..." I'm guilty of it. But I would like to think that I am fairly open to the fact that there is more to things. Hell, I don't even know where I stand on many issues because I sit back and think about both sides... perhaps to a fault!
I wager that there is probably not one person (male or female) that feels completely comfortable in their own skin. People that have paid to fix things that they didn't like are just met with more options for future operations. I went to a water park this summer and was so surprised to see how many men and boys had their t-shirts on! I thought that men didn't care! My husband lost 60 pounds after graduating from culinary school. It's nice that I don't have one of those husbands with the hollow leg that can eat whatever they want but worry that you will let yourself go! He struggles with me while we both admit that we enjoy eating very, very much. We've both spent our share of time in front of the mirror, sucking in.
Does this mean that we can't joke with anyone in fear that they may have a complex? No, not necessarily... but keep in mind that (like I've said before) we all have our vices. We all have a story, a complaint, a miracle and a lesson to offer. Be open to others. On the flipside (see what I mean about not knowing where I stand) don't be too open. There is a such thing as letting too many people in or giving too much of yourself (yep... guilty). Understanding is one thing, putting yourself out there as a welcome mat is another!
Oh, and Heather... my avid reader, best friend and support you are officially exempt from the SB clause! Let's go to the mall and grab some doughnuts!
I realize that this post is all over the place. Perhaps it is a sign that I should post more often to keep an onslaught of rambling at bay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment