Saturday, January 26, 2008

3 Months

Dear Evie,

If this were a job then I would have officially passed the 90-day probabtionary period. In many ways it feels like I have. You have gone, nearly overnight, from a baby that needs to be held at all times and doesn't do much - to a regular infant. You love to play and bat at the rings hanging from your little flower arc. You even wear yourself out to the point where you take naps from 1-2 hours long! This is when things start to get fun!

You had your first shots this month (well, the first ones that weren't in the nursery right after you were born). This was awful. Daddy had to hold down your arms and you were smiling and talking to him like it was a game and suddenly you let out a cry like I've never heard before. All I could do was sit there and cry while they stuck you three times with 6 different vaccines. I think that daddy was pretty close to crying himself. Even worse, it's not going to be the last time. Like daddy said (being the ever-so eloquent man that he is) better to have a few moments of pain than a lifetime of polio! This picture is of you the day after the shots. You didn't feel good at all and were such a little cuddler. I hated that you felt so crumby... but I thoroughly enjoyed all of the cuddling! And all that sleeping you did? I got a lot accomplished!


I have to say that you really hit the jackpot as far as big brothers are concerned. Oakley is so sweet to you and you think he's pretty darn funny! Today when we were leaving the store Oakley jumped up and ran to open the door for mommy so that she could put you in your car seat. He is very thoughtful like that and is always looking out for you.


For nearly three months you constantly had one piece of glitter on the top of your head. It didn't matter how many baths you got - somewhere there was a piece of glitter. We racked our brains to figure out where it was coming from but we still haven't figured it out. It's finally gone. Aunt Clara and I think that's where the fairies kissed you on top of the head! Those magical kisses are hard to wash off!

Mommy got laid off this month and without you and your smiles things would have seemed much more hopeless. It's hard to feel too much stress or sadness when you have a beautiful, healthy baby at home. All is right with the world now that you are in it. I have been told quite a few times that I have a glow about me. Nothing gets to me too much anymore. I have my family and this makes me complete.

I start my new job on Monday and will be doing another job on the side. I used to be off on Fridays and I could come home on lunch and see you every day Monday-Thursday. I won't be able to do that anymore and it breaks my heart to think about it. You will be hanging out with daddy and Aunt Clara. I know that you will be in wonderful hands ... but I'd rather them be my hands. I hope that someday you understand why I work so hard. I hope that you understand why Daddy is up hours before the sun rises and still finds the energy to play with you, Oakley and Buddy every afternoon. It's because we love you and want you to have the world.

At Mommy's "Farewell Potluck" in a very silent moment you decided to let out the loudest most obnoxious fart. People were shocked that something that big could come out of something so small. That's my girl! Timing and class all the way. Couldn't have shared my sentiments any better!

You figured out how to splash and kick in the tub and you love it! We sing "Tubby Tubby Time" to the tune of "Happy Holidays" and you kick to your heart's content! The bedtime routine of: witching hour (cranky, tired baby that doesn't want to admit that she's tired), bath time, naked baby time... where you are also cranky because you don't want to be cold, nursing, cuddling, putting you down and holding your binky, nursing again, followed by sleep seems to be really catching on~!

I still can't walk more than 10 steps in public without someone stopping me to comment on how beautiful you are. One day in Red Robin we had the entire wait staff stop at one time or another to love on you... even other tables were smiling and waving at you. It felt like you had a fan club! I know that you are the prettiest baby in the world, yet it still surprises me when an entire room full of strangers agrees!

You went to a new pediatrician for your 2-month check up. She was very nice and was very impressed with your upper body strength. She also said that you are above-average intelligent. Everyone keeps asking me how she would even know that. I really don't know, but I agree with her and think she is a very good doctor!

Daddy figured out that if you are in your travel system and feel like you are part of the action then you are very content. He wheels you from room to room as he tidies the house. One day I came home to find tire tracks all over the house. He had been running laps with you from one room to the next. You loved it! I imagine one day you will enjoy daddy time as much as Oakley does. Then mommy will have a small heart attack when she finds out that the three of you were in the backyard putting fire crackers in vegetables... again! Or that you will be spinning circles in mommy's car, or that Daddy let you steer at the age of nine.

People keep asking when I am going to put you in your crib in your own room. You haven't even made it to your bassinet in my room yet. Every time this question is posed my lungs stop working. I can't imagine not having you next to me and the nursery seems like it's miles away. I know that you will be ready far before I am. This will also happen about the time that the seasons change and it's too hot for daddy to sleep in the garage!

When I'm laying with you and holding your little hand sometimes I think about the day when you're a teenager and you will hate me. You're a Scorpio and I'm a Leo and I know that we will have some storms ahead of us. I hope that we can both remember how much we need eachother and that bond that we formed holding eachother for five days in a lonely hospital room. When my mind drifts further I have to stop myself. I get teary-eyed thinking about your college graduation, your wedding, having babies of your own. My heart already swells with pride at the woman I know you will become.

My heart swells so much sometimes I think it could just explode. You have filled every void, patched every heartache and paved the road to a lifetime of smiles.

Love, Mama

2 comments:

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

These letters get me every time!! So so sweet!! She is just precious!! You must be so proud!!

Anonymous said...

Nish,

She is so adorable!! I can not wait to meet her and see you. It seems like forever. We love you and miss you.


Tracey and Austin