Monday, January 21, 2008

Belly/Baby Laughs and Strippers



When I first found out that I was pregnant I ran out and bought "What to Expect When You're Expecting" as an impulse buy I also grabbed "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy. I have to say that Belly Laughs was far more helpful than What to Expect was. Perhaps it's because I am a very candid person but I was so glad that I had someone telling me exactly what to expect. Even the oh-not-so-pretty parts! I had no idea that your China swells. Her comparison to a swollen China and a blue twinkie really got me through! I have decided that when I find out that friends are expecting I will get them Belly Laughs and The Belly Book. These were the most useful resources for me.


When Barnes and Nobles had their huge after-holiday sale I bought Baby Laughs for $3.99. It was very cute. Perhaps not as informative as Belly Laughs but the story of her telling the Nazi Lactation Consultant that she shit herself just to get rid of her was worth every penny! I just about died!


Her writing isn't the best - but the books definitely serve their purpose. Each story seems to end with a sort of "essay ending". That was a little irritating, but not irritating enough to make me stop reading... or to stop me from buying her other books.


I also finished the book Candy Girl by Diablo Cody (who is also the screenwriter for the movie Juno). This book was a great, quick read... but not something that you would want to discuss with your grandmother. It is raunchy to say the least... and in the most page-turning kind of way!
I would crawl into bed each night and hook on my book light that I received in my stocking and disappear into world of strip clubs. Complete with wigs, mustaches, sex toys, a cum licker and bed dances (eeewwww!) While on binky duty (that's code for holding Evie's binky in with one finger so that she doesn't spit it out and then wake up and start screaming... this only lasts a few minutes but has become a staple in the bedtime routine) I would dive into this poorly lit lifestyle and feel a little more rebelious and less matronly.

2 comments:

Raquel said...

Thanks for the book Info! I could always use another good book to read. I loved the movie Juno -

:)

Shelley said...

Hi Nisha, I am Quel's friend. She has shared your wedding website and blog with me. I could not agree more about the Jenny Mcarthy book being more helpful. What to Expect told me I should gain only 3 lbs in my first trimester. I have gained more than that in my chest-hello! Your baby is beautiful congrats!