Friday, April 13, 2007

My 1st appointment

I realize that this actually took place two days ago - but morning sickness (or all day sickness) has taken full residency and I was in bed for the past day and a half trying not to puke or cry. Sometimes the need to puke would make me cry. It was not a pretty sight. I am feeling a little better today but these food aversions are for the birds... especially coming from a girl that loves to eat and enjoys food. My kitchen makes me sick.

So, now to my appointment. I went in and had to fill out like 80 pages of paperwork. They had me pee in a cup and then wait. The office was a little hard to find and then once I did find it I couldn't find the entrance door! I saw Brian pull up and watched him try to find the door too, it was cracking me up.

We got called back and got my blood pressure taken (Brian stood there holding my purse!) and I got weighed. I have gained 2 pounds. However, I really don't need to be gaining anything. I am petrified of seeing the scale hit numbers that I've never seen before. Then we went into the room and I got into the gown that opens in the front. While I was getting undressed Brian totally averted his eyes! Like he'd never seen me without clothes on! The nurse practitioner came in and went over the family history, etc. She talked about morning sickness and other "complaints". She said that Propel water has been known to help because it has vitamin B6 in it. So then it was time for the Pap and I've never seen my husband want to be somewhere less than at this moment. I slid down on the table and he was like "I'm just going to run across the street and get some of that water you were talking about!" She was like "hold tight and we'll let you hear the heartbeat first!" I really don't see how a man can be more uncomfortable than his wife who is actually getting the pap!

She took the little microphone machine and tried to find the heartbeat. Nothing. I started to panic and she could tell. She told me that my uterus is tilted towards my back and that was probably why. Most doctors would have left it at that. She wheeled in "max" the ultrasound machine (it's an all-woman doctor's office so they named the ultrasound machine Max) and did an "unofficial" ultrasound. I could see the little heartbeat going and felt much better. However, it still doesn't seem "real". I feel like a walking science experiment. I am so sick and tired and gassy - I just don't feel like myself and I definitely find it hard to believe that there is a little person in me. No matter how much research I do.

I can say this: If this nausea lasts for the entire pregnancy then this baby will be an only child!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why I plan on never getting pregnent!

Amy said...

Sorry the m/s has hit you! Hopefully it won't last long and then you can enjoy things!

Okay...so you totally HAVE to let go of seeing the scale rise! There is something growing inside you!! You ARE going to gain some weight, there's just no way around that, so take a deep breath, blow it out, and submit to it. Let your body guide you in your eating...to a point. If you are having m/s, and can only stomach pudding and cheez-its, then eat it and accept it. You will have opportunities during this pg (and after) to balance your eating out.

My pg didn't feel "real" until I was around 20 weeks. Even after seeing the ultrasound and buying maternity clothes, it never really hit me until I started feeling the baby move. Those flutters and rolls (inside the belly not around it!) are what made it real for me.

With all the little stresses and inconveniences that pregnancy brings, it also brings so much excitement...even if it comes a little later into the pg. You will enjoy this! Give it some time!

Anonymous said...

I love you! Wish I could have been there, (partly to witness Brian's discomfort ;) but I guarantee that at some point I'm going to hear that little heartbeat!
Heather

Raquel said...

Yeah!Yeah!Yeah! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry to hear about the constant nausea, I think most women would choose another form of sickness over that one if they could. Bless you dear for this is all going to be worth it when you are holding that little baby and opening cool gifts sent from Aunt Quel! Mwah!

Anonymous said...

It's Momma Farr, and it's so exciting to read about your pregnancy. Try Raspberry leaf tea, it does wonders for nausia in the morning. It needs a good sweetener, because it has an unusual flavor, but I could tell the difference in (urp) when I drank it daily. Hope this helps, and the yuks pass quickly. Love Mum