Thursday, February 22, 2007

Run Forrest Run!

I ran last night!

I was convinced that I would be able to go the equivilant of maybe 3 sidewalk squares TOPS... but I went pretty far down the street without having to stop!

This was a very incognito process mind you. I walked my dog (i.e. my dog pulled me down the street with his huskey-dog-sled instincts) and I went into the part of our housing development that is still being built. This ensured no people or cars would see my attempt. I then let Buddy off of his chain (because he would pull me straight on to my face if he thought it was time to run together) and I ran down the street! I didn't die, didn't keel over or get a side-ache right away... and I was still able to walk home! I went to our little grassy knoll in the housing division and Buddy and I ran back and forth a few times in my attempt at "sprints". This is really just chunky me running back and forth while trying to make sure that my dog doesn't run into the street.

I'm so excited and impressed with myself for being to go as far as I did. AND... for a few seconds... I actually enjoyed myself. Here in AZ it is already Spring weather and the days are longer so it's very refreshing to enjoy some of the sunshine and fresh air. I've actually been excited to do it again tonight before my Pilates class. Go me!

3 comments:

AGirlWorthLosing said...

That's awesome. I love it when I surprise myself with how much better I can do than I think I can. BTW: I was looking through your archives and your wedding picture is just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! That's also exactly how I started running! I went off to my secluded place, let my dog off the leash and ran until I couldn't run anymore.

Eventually I stopped stopping when I saw people because my running was no longer about being private and secluded and making sure nobody made fun of me but it became something I liked, needed and was totally about me! I bet you'll be there quicker than you realize!

What a milestone! Congratulations!!!

Kimberly said...

Wow! Congratulations! That's one of my goals for this week. Last spring I walked a lot (hard, for a while) and one day I was out with my husband and all of a sudden I wanted to run...and I did! It was a great feeling. I'm not there anymore, but I want to be:)

Good job!

(by the way, I am sorry I never got back to you, I ended up in a huge funk that lasted several weeks and I didn't respond to anyone (not a sole), and then I couldn't find your email to respond. I am sorry for disappearing and for what happened to you...btw - sister and roommate and doing OK. Which I think is probably good, for now).