Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day Insults

As long as I have been doing clerical work I have never thought of myself as a secretary, although I don't know that we should have gone as far as to change Secretary's Day to Administrative Professional's Day. That makes it sound like a bunch of us had taken time from our typing to bitch about the title, while burning our bras and swapping recipes.

One day that I didn't think could be insulting was this Sunday, Mother's day. Saturday I was going to come in to work (I have been working my ass off to try and re enter hundreds of orders) but everyone who was also going to come in to work... well... didn't. So I decided that I was in need of some retail therapy and headed to the mall. I had just bought a new shirt the night before and it was spaghetti strapped, elastic over the boobs and then flowy (like the ones we all wore in the 80's) I just loved it. I found some perfume and decided to buy it, one because I haven't bought perfume for myself in a long time and two because my boyfriend told me a few days ago that I stunk. I had the lady at Dillards helping me and my total was around $45, she said that there is a free watch for orders over $58, "but since tomorrow is Mother's Day and you are WITH CHILD, I will give it to you anyways". I didn't know what to say so I smiled and took the watch, signed my receipt and went home very butt hurt. I have this stupid watch to show for it and I hate it, I want to slam it against my counters at home.

On Sunday I was with Oakley at the grocery store and everyone kept asking him if he did anything for me for Mother's Day. He's six and didn't know what to say... I'm not his mom! Poor thing, I know that everyone was just trying to be nice, but my hell! I have talked to other girls in the office that ran into the same thing. I don't know of any suggestions to fix all of this, but I sure do feel that I deserve to bitch. I am very proud of making it this far without children, don't wish me a Happy Mother's Day until I am ready to celebrate!

I will write more about the woes of free mattresses.

Jason accused me of "petering off" on my blog entries. I wanted to quote that because I thought it sounded funny and also point out that I have been working 13 hour days to try and save the company's ass and re enter lost data.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me.